PIERRE, S.D. – The South Dakota Department of Tourism’s presidential mascots will be walking the streets of New York City this weekend to promote the Mount Rushmore’s American Pride float, which will appear for a third straight year in the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade®.
The mascots, which represent the four faces of Mount Rushmore National Memorial, will kick off their trip with an appearance at Macy’s department store in Midtown Manhattan. In addition, the mascots and their Department of Tourism chaperones will make stops at several iconic New York sites to interact with people, visit with them about travel opportunities in South Dakota, and encourage them to sign up for Mount Rushmore’s American Pride Vacation Giveaway.
Anyone interested in following the presidents’ trip around New York City may do so by visiting the South Dakota Department of Tourism’s Facebook page at www.facebook.com/SouthDakotaTourism or by following the Twitter handle @TravelSD and hashtag #RushmoreMascots.
All of the street team efforts lead up to the appearance ofMount Rushmore’s American Pride in the 86th Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade® on Thursday, Nov. 22, 2012. This is the third year of the float’s appearance in the parade.
- Float title: “Mount Rushmore’s American Pride”
- Parade airs on NBC, 9 a.m.-noon in all time zones
- Musical artist Don McLean will perform on Mount Rushmore’s American Pride on the air for approximately one minute
- Matt Lauer and Savannah Guthrie will provide commentary about the float
- Promotional partners include: Black Hills, Badlands & Lakes Association; Black Hills Central Reservations; Mount Rushmore National Memorial Society; and South Dakota Department of Tourism
- Vacation giveaway entry will be open Nov. 8-30
The South Dakota Department of Tourism is comprised of Tourism, the South Dakota Arts Council, and the South Dakota State Historical Society. The Department is led by Secretary James D. Hagen.